Stand-up comic and comedy writer Carol Leifer faced a critical dilemma and had only two options: either continue sharing her greatest childhood memory (seeing the Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1966) or lie about her age. But the choice soon became clear: I see now that when you deny your age, you deny yourself, and when you lie about your age, you become your inauthentic twin. But most important, when you lie about your age, they win. (And of course by “they”, I mean the terrorists). Now, in this uproarious book, Leifer reveals all “her age, her outlook, her life philosophy”no holds barred.
On technology: I am overwhelmed by anything that involves a cord.â€
– On motherhood: Never put your baby’s length on a birth announcement. It’s a baby, not a marlin.
– On collagen injections: “Your lips are not meant to be flotation devices for your face in case it capsizes.”
– On tattoos: “If you plan on having your lover’s name tattooed on your arm, always leave room before it for a possible ‘I Hate’ down the road.”
– On etiquette: “Never refer to a woman as ‘ma’am’ even if she’s ninety years old. Nobody likes it.”
After years of stand-up and a wave of successful television shows, Carol Leifer finally (and hilariously) puts it all down on paper the wise thoughts, witty stories, and wonderfully way-out observations guaranteed to have you nodding in agreement and laughing out loud in sheer delight.
–> Get Off Your “But”: How to End Self-Sabotage and Stand Up for Yourself by Sean Stephenson
From the Inside Flap
“This book will show you how to move beyond your limitations and begin to experience and share your gifts at the highest level.?. . . Read this book in its entirety, follow the lessons closely, and watch as your life transforms into a masterpiece filled with an abundance of bliss, passion, and gratitude.” – From the Foreword by Anthony Robbins
In addition to presenting Sean Stephenson’s unbelievable life story, Get Off Your “But,” offers anyone who needs to conquer fears and insecurities a hands-on guide for overcoming the forces of negativity and self-sabotage. Sean – a successful psychotherapist – shows what it takes to overcome the big bumps in the road, eliminate excuses, end insecurities, and ultimately stand up for happiness and success in life. As Sean explains, anyone can fall victim to the “Buts”:
“But” Fears (But what if I fail . . .)
“But” Insecurities (But I’m not good enough . . .)
“But” Excuses?(But there’s no time . . .)
Get Off Your “But” offers a practical guide for putting fear behind you and building the inner resources to become self-confident at work and at home. It’s time to get off your “but” and start leading the life you dream.
Latest posts by Kevin Holtsberry (see all)
- Collected Miscellany is now on Substack - June 17, 2021
- Arnold Kling on George Packer, David Hackett Fischer, Walter Russell Mead and America’s Four Traditions - June 9, 2021
- Reading, Re-reading and Reinventing Paul - June 9, 2021